Some evenings I come home from work, sit down with my notebook and plan recipes. I usually come up ideas on the walk from the tube station to my house. Don’t know why, but that’s always when I get my best ideas. I plan each months recipes based on what’s in season and/or what I fancy making at the time. I had not planned to have two doughnutty recipes this month. But it happened and I doughnut have any regrets.
I wanted to use blood oranges as they are in season at the moment and they’re pretty, but to be honest, I may as well have used normal oranges as these ones were not very bloody. The icing should’ve been more pink and the caramelised oranges should have had more red flesh but ah well, the browned butter/rosemary thang is so good! As usual, I didn’t test this recipe before jumping straight in and making it for “the blog”. I was sooooo pleased to bite into one and taste the delicious browned butter and a subtle hint of rosemary.
You just need to look at my little picture on the side to see I have a thing for doughnuts. My all time favourites are Bread Ahead’s custard doughnuts and up until last week, I hadn’t had one in like months. Last week I had 4 🙃. I shared them all so in reality I just had 2. I’ve now tried the classic vanilla custard, hazelnut praline, chocolate and sea salted caramel & honeycomb. My favourite is classic vanilla custard. I’m looking into getting a deep fat fryer so I can recreate them myself at home. I feel that may be somewhat of a slippery slope…
I used The Little Epicurean’s recipe as inspiration for the blood orange part of my recipe. The browned butter and rosemary bit was all me bebe 😏
Serves: 10 doughnuts
Prep Time: 30 mins (includes cooling and decorating time)
Cooking Time: 30 mins (includes candying time)
Difficulty: I doughnut think you’ll find it hard
Mixing bowl x 3
Doughnut pan (greased)
3 sprigs of rosemary (fresh)
125g plain flour
1tsp baking powder
¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
65g golden caster sugar
30g browned butter (melted)*
1tsp vanilla essence
1 blood orange (thinly sliced and quartered)
3 cups water
1 cup caster sugar
Blood Orange Glaze
1½ cup icing sugar (sifted)
zest of 1 orange
4tbsp blood orange juice
- Over a medium heat melt butter with rosemary sprigs.
- Swirl around occasionally. The butter will begin to foam and change colour. When it turned brown, smells nutty and brown flecks begin to appear, your butter is browned. This will take 3½-4mins.
- Pour butter into a bowl (with rosemary) so it doesn’t continue to cook in the hot pan. Set aside.
- Add quartered orange slices, water, and sugar to pan and heat over medium heat for 30mins or until skins of oranges have become translucent.
- Leave to cool on sheet of baking parchment.
- Preheat oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 6
- Mix together flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together sugar, egg, milk, yoghurt, browned butter (remove rosemary sprigs) and vanilla essence.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over mix.
- Grease doughnut pan and fill each mould until ¾ full and bake for 10-12mins until golden brown.
- Leave to cool for 2 mins in pan before turning out onto cooling rack and cooling completely.
- Mix together sifted icing sugar, orange zest and orange juice.
- Dip cooled doughnuts in icing (smooth side that was facing down in pan) and return to cooling rack. Add orange slices. Allow to set.
I DOUGHNUT THINK IT IS SPELT DONUT
I am throwing a bit of a curve ball today. Instead of sharing a band I have been listening to, I am going to share a podcast. It’s called Radiolab and it’s great. Each week they discuss something completely different from science and history to politics and current affairs. It’s really interesting and I feel like I have already learnt a lot from my short week of listening to it. Find out more about it here.