My go to bechamel sauce also features in my Macaroni Cheese recipe. It’s the recipe my Mum has always used, and it’ll be the recipe I will always use.
Serves: 4 (generous portions) or 6 (smaller)
Prep & Cooking Time: 60-70 mins
Difficulty: For a person who is comfortable in the kitchen
Large mixing bowl
Oven proof dish
800g cauliflower (cut into small florets)
3 cloves of garlic (crushed)
drizzle of olive oil
710ml milk (whichever your prefer)
½ onion (peeled but not chopped)
2 bay leaves
½ tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp thyme
6 peppercorns (whole)
1 tbsp butter
3 cloves of garlic
500g leeks (chopped into 1cm rounds)
340g dry pasta of your choice
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp plain flour
400g+ 100g mature cheddar (grated)
salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 220c/200c fan/gas 8
- To begin making the sauce infuse the milk; pour the milk into a saucepan, adding the onion, bay leaves, nutmeg and peppercorns.
- Bring to boil over a low heat. Be careful to not over boil because nobody likes the taste of over boiled milk! Remove from heat and leave the milk to rest as it is for at least 10-15mins.
- Whilst the milk is boiling, cut cauliflower into small florets and place on oven tray with crushed garlic. Drizzle with olive oil and mix. Place in the oven and baked for 15 mins. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Prepare the leeks by melting butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add the chopped leek and remaining crushed garlic. Lower heat and saute for 10 mins until leeks have softened and become translucent. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Complete the sauce by melting butter over a medium heat in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown. Should take about 2 mins.
- Whisk in the prepared milk (strain it first). Stirr occasionally until the sauce just begins to boil (a low boil) and thickens.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in 400g cheddar until the cheese has completely melted. Season.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together roasted cauliflower, cooked pasta and bechamel sauce.
- Pour the mix into an oven proof dish. Add sauteed leeks on top and cover with remaining 100g of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15mins until leeks have started to crisp and cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve it right up.
YOU CHEDDAR BELIEVE THIS IS DELICIOUS
Next week I am going to see Khruangbin you really ought to listen to them…