I used a couple of great bakers recipes to help me out with this bake. Paul Hollywood was there to lend a hand with the pastry. Check out my Cranberry & Orange Meringue Pie recipe for pictures of some good dough rolling and tin lining.
**IMPORTANT INFO**The tart only uses half the amount of frangipane you make, therefore I suggest freezing half of your mix and saving it for a rainy day!
Prep Time: 1 hr (including chilling and cooling)
Cooking Time: 1 hr + (depending on when you make your candied oranges)
Skill Level: Oooh it’s a bit of a toughy
23cm loose bottomed tart tin
Mixing bowls (a few!)
Egg separator (not essential)
Baking beans (any dried beans e.g. kidney)
Wide, heavy based saucepan
140g cold butter (diced)
250g plain flour (plus a little extra for dusting)
zest of 1 orange
100g icing sugar
2 egg yolks
230g unsalted butter (room temp)
230g golden caster sugar
230g ground almonds
2cm fresh ginger (grated)
50g plain flour(sifted)
4/5 mountain peaches, ripe but not too soft (quartered)
100g cherries (pitted, stalks left on)
2 tbsp orange marmalade
125g caster sugar
2 Oranges (thinly sliced)
- TART CRUST: Put the butter and flour in a food processor and whizz until mixture resembles fine crumbs. (Can be done by hand; rub butter and flour together)
- Combine egg yolks and 2 tsp cold water.
- Whilst food processor is still running, add orange zest and then pour in the liquid, bringing pastry together. If pastry dough does not come together, add a little water – 1 tsp at a time. (No more than 2!)
- Tip pastry onto a lightly floured surface, bring together to form a flat disc.
- Roll out pastry to line a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Leave pastry over hanging the tin.
- Prick bottom of pie crust with a fork and chill in the fridge for 30 mins. This time can be used to make the Frangipane (skip to step 12)and the Candied Orange Slices (skip to step 19)
- Whilst the crust chills, heat the oven to 200c/180c fan/gas 6.
- Line pie crust with baking parchment and fill with baking beans and blind bake for 15 mins
- Remove parchment and baking beans. Return pie crust to oven and bake for a further 10 mins until pastry looks golden brown.
- Trim edges of pastry with a shape knife. Leave to cool completely.
- Lower oven temp to 180c/160c fan/gas 4.
- FRANGIPANE: Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then add grated ginger.
- Fold in ground almonds and flour and mix until combined. **Remember we only need have the amount of frangipane. Chill half of the frangipane to be used in tart and freeze the other half or make another tart.**
- Once the tart crust has cooled completely, arrange sliced peaches on the base of the tart.
- Spoon over frangipane (only one half of the entire quantity is being used remember), making sure peaches aren’t completely covered.
- Insert cherries into frangipane ensuring the stalks are sticking up.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 20-30mins until frangipane is golden and skewer removed comes out clean.
- CANDIED ORANGE SLICES: Sprinkle caster sugar on base of saucepan then layer with orange slices. Repeat layering.
- Pour over water and simmer on low heat for about 40mins until the orange rind becomes soft and translucent.
- Remove from pan and cool on baking parchment.
- Cool tart in tin for 15mins. Whist cooling glazed with orange marmalade using a pastry brush and top with candied orange peel.
- Remove from tart tin and leave to cool completely on wire rack.
NO SOGGY BOTTOMS PLZ
This is currently my fave song; “Pretty Pimiping” by Kurt Vile