GUYS I had the day off uni and I wasn’t even expecting it! GUYS, I entered Lurpak’s #bakeclub competition. The prize is Joseph Joseph kitchen stuff. GUYS, I LOVE Joseph Joseph stuff. You may have guessed that I spent my day off baking. It was a glorious day. The rain poured outside, I poured chocolate inside. My housemate, Rhona, had the day off too so she played the roll of photography assistant. Rhona and I became friends at uni as we were doing the same course. We bonded over food. Obviously. We spent most of our second year going out for breakfasts around London. It was the best. In fact, I am waiting for Rhona to get home from the gym now, hoping she will cave and decide to go to Pizza Express with me for dinner. I have a voucher and everything.
Back to the bake. “The Challenge” this month for #bakeclub was “Vegetables in cakes and bakes”. I have always wanted to try beetroot in chocolate cake ’cause I have heard it is pretty darn good. Now I have the perfect excuse. I also really wanted to bake something using blood oranges, so I used a recipe that required normal oranges and replaced them with the bloody kind. I was so desperate to use blood oranges I sent a facebook message to the this fruit and veg shop near my house to check they had them. Thank goodness they did. Is that weird? Have I reached new lows for baking geekiness? Whatever. I don’t care.
The beetroots came from my Mum and Dad’s veg box, so they were lovely organic beety goodness. My Mother kindly boiled them ready for me to use. My mum seems to get a mention in most of my posts, lets just say she is my sous chef, not forgetting my dad the cleaner or RB.cleans. Speaking of cleaning, I had to do it all myself today. Boy was it a chore. Haha. Jeez what am I like.
180g beetroot (cooked)
1 small-med blood orange (zest & juice)
pinch of salt
3 medium eggs
2 tsp vanilla essence
100g cocoa powder
1 tbsp baking powder
200ml sunflower oil
100g dark chocolate
Candied Oranges (optional)
5-6 slices of Blood Orange (roughly 2-3mm thick)
- Preheat oven to 200c/180c fan/Gas 6.
- Using a food processor, blend the beetroot until it resembles a thick paste (not too much, you don’t want a sloppy loaf mix)
- To the beetroot, add eggs, orange zest & juice, salt, sugar and vanilla. Stir it on up.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa and baking soda.
- Sieve dry mix into wet mix.
- Stir to combine.
- Slowly, a little at a time, add the sunflower oil. Make sure to mix between each addition.
- Mix well. (It will be quite wet, don’t worry).
- Pour mix into prepared loaf tin and place in oven.
- Bake for 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the loaf.
- Leave loaf to cool.
- Melt chocolate and pour over cooled loaf. (I prefer to melt chocolate using the bain marie method. Place bowl over pan of boiling water making sure water does not touch the bowl. Add pieces of chocolate to bowl and stir)
- Over a low heat bring to boil sugar and water until sugar has completely dissolved.
- Place the slices of blood orange into the pan, making sure they are not touching each other.
- Leave to simmer for 15mins.
- Turn the slices of orange over and simmer for a further 10-15mins. IMPORTANT: Keep checking to see if the sugar is burning. If it starts to brown remove from heat IMMEDIATELY.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes in the saucepan.
- Remove oranges from saucepan and place on baking parchment.
- Allow to cool before placing on plate.