Rhubarb & Custard Filling
350g rhubarb (cut into bite sized pieces)
100g caster sugar
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk
1tsp vanilla essence
1tbsp plain flour
284ml single cream (carton)
35g rolled oats
30g plain flour
60g demerara sugar
60g unsalted butter (cold, cubed)
- Preheat oven to 150c/130c (fan)/Gas 2
- Cut rhubarb into bite sized pieces. Using a non-stick frying pan, over med-low heat, heat the rhubarb and half the sugar until the sugar dissolves. Tip into a bowl (with juices) and set aside.
- SHORTBREAD CRUST: Mix together melted butter, sugar, vanilla essence, pinch of salt.
- Stir in flour and mix until combined.
- Pour/empty dough into prepared tin. Press down until entire base of tine is covered (it will be a thin layer).
- Bake in oven for 15mins or until golden brown. Set aside.
- R & C FILLING: Whilst the short crust is baking, beat together egg, egg yolk, what is left of the caster sugar, flour and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl.
- Gradually whisk in the cream adding a bit at a time, followed by the juice from the cooked rhubarb.
- Turn up the oven temperature to 200c/180c(fan)/Gas 6.
- CRUST + FILLING: Spoon cooked rhubarb (no juice) over the baked shortbread crust and then pour over cream mix.
- Place in oven and bake for 20mins until custard is slightly set and a thin skin has formed on top.
- CRUMBLE TOPPING: Whilst pie is baking, mix together, rolled oats, plain flour and sugar.
- Rub butter cubes to form large/coarse crumbs.
- After 20mins of baking, scatter crumble topping over pie and return to oven. Bake for a further 10-15mins until crumble is golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from tin and cooling some more.
I CAN’T THINK OF ANYTHING FUNNY TO WRITE 🙁
Here’s some Jungle for your eyes & ears. I am seeing them next week. Can’t wait for a boogie…